E-learning establishes new vistas in education. It has the following features:
- It is self-directed. Students are given the option to choose tools and content suited to their various needs, skill levels and interests.
- It is self-paced. Students can proceed with learning content at their own pace, slowing down or speeding up as needed.
- It provides different learning methods: Multiple learning styles can be accommodated using different learning methods catering to various learners.
- It can be customized according to the needs of the learner.
- Geographic barriers can be overcome, throwing open broader options for education.
- The course is available 24×7, which makes it easy to schedule learning and allowing many students to access the course at the same time or different times.
- Learning can occur when needed through on demand-access.
- Time for travel and related costs (vehicle, parking, and fuel) are lowered or eliminated.
- Overall costs for students are much reduced (food, residence, tuition)
- Enhances collaboration and interaction of students.
- Enhances contact between teacher and student
- Enhances internet and general computer skills.
- It is inspired by a hundred years of pedagogical research.
- It has become popular with most of the major universities of the world who have developed their own online courses. Education E-learning development companies in India are helping Indian universities in this sphere.
Some of the benefits of e-learning are:
- Convenience: The courses are available according to your schedule. They do not need physical attendance. Learning proceeds at personal pace. You are not bound by time as courses are accessible 24×7. Study wherever you like; at home, in the office or while travelling.
- Lower cost and wider selection: Select from a wide array of courses like vocational, certificate and degree programs or continuing education. Find courses that match any budget you have in mind.
- Flexibility: e-learning is focused on needs of students. You can choose self-study or instructor led courses. Skip portions you know and concentrate on topics you need.
- High retention: e-learning enables you to enjoy the learning process and enables retention better than ordinary classroom.
- Greater collaboration:Technology tools enable much easier collaboration among students. Because many projects consist of collaborative learning, e-learning is suitable as it does not require face to face interaction.
- Global learning: The net and its worldwide resources are available to your finger E-learning takes students to vistas unreachable by traditional classrooms.
These are some of the characteristics and benefits of e-learning in the educational sector.