E-learning is an idea whose time has arrived and that too, with a bang! The workforce of the new millennium prefers e-learning for their training purposes.
Here are a few features of e-learning:
- E-learning is self-paced and learners can speed up or slow down, according to their needs.
- There is self-direction of learning and learners can select tools and content suited to their needs and skill levels.
- E-learning adopts multiple styles of learning and uses various styles of delivery to cater to different learners. E-learning development companies use various modes to design and deliver content.
- Design of e-learning content and method revolves around the learner.
- There is getting rid of geographical barriers, giving greater coverage for e-learning.
- There is 24/7 accessibility to the training such that scheduling is easy and a greater number of people can attend the course.
- Learning can happen anywhere, any time because of on-demand access.
- Additional costs (lodging, food, parking, fuel) and travel time are reduced considerably.
- Cost of training is much lower (arranging classroom, catering, transport etc.).
- Enhances collaboration between learners and also learner-trainer interaction.
- Enhances internet literacy and digital skills.
Some Benefits of E-Learning:
Portability and Convenience:
- One can access courses as per one’s schedule.
- E-learning does not require trainer or learner to be present physically.
- Learning is customized and self-paced (not slow or fast).
- One is not restricted according to time. There is 24/7 availability of courses.
- There are no geographical barriers: study on the road, in office or at home.
- Read content online or download it to read later at one’s convenience.
Selection and Cost:
- Select from a wide range of courses that suit your requirement.
- Cost of training is much lower.
- One can gain access to individual courses.
- Use –learning to gain a new degree, a new skill or a new hobby.
- E-learning is student – centered. It caters to the needs of the learner.
- Method of training can be instructor led or self-study.
- One can skip topics one does not need and concentrate on those one likes and one needs.
- One can use the best tools suited to one’s learning style.
- One can be trained from anywhere/ any time.
- E-learning presents content in formats that learners will enjoy. As such, content will be retained by learner in a much more efficient manner.
- Because of new technology, there is greater interaction between learners, especially in the comfort of relative anonymity.
- Information and knowledge can be shared globally.
These are some of the benefits of e-learning in education and training.